Game Design

 Reading(Week 3)

Source: http://gamedevelopertips.com/what-is-a-game-made-of-definition-of-a-game/ 


From Reading this paper I thought I knew what makes a game already but to know that there are many elements to what makes a game is kinda mind blowing as a person who enjoys games myself I dont think there should be neccesery an end to a game or follow a certain criteria as  David Parlett once said "A game has "ends amd means" : an objective, and outcome, and a set of rues to get there. Which i disagree as a game should be played to have fun and to play with friends and get invested into a whole new world of imagination. 

A game can be made out of the simplest ideas and thoughts ever and that you dont have to have a creative mind to make a game. I personally agree with this as a game should have , yes goals and obstacles to overcome but make it enjoyable and a fun experience aswell.

The many things that games often have are

  • GAMES HAVE RULES
  • GAMES ARE AN ACTIVITY
  • GAMES HAVE CONFLICT 
  • GAMES INVOLVE DECISION MAKING
  • GAMES HAVE AN UNCERTAIN OUTCOME
  • GAMES ARE A FORM OF ART


These points are very important for a game and personaly help me think of what to do for my own game and ideas. 

Idea Creation

The process of idea creation is very important and that there are many ways to come up with ideas.
Brainstorming would be the most common one as most people use this broad concept to viusal help them think. Discussion and formal interviews would be ones for people to have there idea verbaly talked about and to have a agile development method to construct there vision. I would personally like to use brainstorming as i need to visually see my ideas come to play.

Generating ideas

Concentration and communication is important when creating a game as i need to not only communite with maybe others or myself and to put my whole thought process into work mode and come up with the best solutions and poissble outcomes for my game. Example Brainstorming and saying my ideas outloud would be great. 

r

Comments

  1. Really well written piece of writing Ciara. Them articles help a lot, especially because we have to design our own games for this semester!

    I am the same with yourself, I would much rather visually see my ideas rather than just writing things down.

    Very good pointers too! Will defiantly be coming back to your blog if I need a bit of guidance ;))

    Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ciara! I think your blog is really well written and laid out, its easy to follow and understand. I think you gave a really clear analysis and breakdown on game design from the readings. I also agree with you in that games are to be enjoyed and to have fun with friends or by yourself:) Really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction Of Me{Week2}

Game Vision Statement

Favourite Game(Week 2)Task 3